Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Response: Week 11

This week in Magazine Editing, one of our homework assignments is to plan a theme issue for the August issue of Esquire. It was easy for me to come up with a theme but way harder to come up with 8-12 feature ideas and four department ideas based off of that theme. Even though this assignment is much easier for me to complete than proofreading or copyediting, it showed just how much I need to work on thinking like an editor. Because in the second round of presentations in Advanced Magazine Design, as students presented their findings from interviews with various art directors from across the country, the suggestion of being a designer and thinking like an editor at the same time came up. It's definitely helpful to be strong in both areas simultaneously because I believe a designer is more marketable if he or she possesses both traits and can use them at the same time. Again it was another week of identifying my weak points and now I have just over 30 days to work and polish them before I graduate from MU.

No comments:

Post a Comment