Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Critique: Week 11








This week I had two major assignments to work on: the CountryHome.com designs for my Meredith Corp. project and the design (and subsequent redesign) of covers for the Criminal Justice Issue of Vox Magazine. 

The CountryHome.com project is slowly coming along, as we are working as a design team to make the pages look similar to each other. It's a lot of work, but I believe I will be much more knowledgeable about web design in the end than I would if I had chosen one of the print projects for Meredith Corp. My inspiration for my department pages was NYTimes.com. However, I am a very methodical, straightforward designer, learning to expand my creative box. It has shown in my print work for this class and Vox Magazine, and that struggle has unfortunately made its way over to the web design work as well with this Meredith Corp. project. But in the end, like everything else, it will be a good learning experience for me. Unfortunately I can't post screenshots of my pages since they are on the server and I don't have access to them right now.

But I will post my covers for Vox Magazine's Criminal Justice Issue. I will briefly explain each one. The one with the caution tape and body outline in chalk was trying to recreate a crime scene where each of the three individuals profiled in the story would have a hand in figuring out the crime. The black cover with the three picture boxes was modeled after a t-shirt I have which depicts three different aspects of the organization. So since there are three profiles, I decided to make each profile have its own picture box. And the font for the words "Criminal Justice" was modeled after Law & Order. Finally, the cover with the arm in a chain was my least favorite. I kind of ran out of ideas at this point, but I was trying to show in this cover a "criminal" being locked up awaiting "justice."

After I presented these three ideas to the class this past Thursday, they suggested I redesign the cover with the picture boxes, which is shown here. I changed the picture for the medical examiner and tried to make each box look like it had a brass nameplate attached to it. I'll see how the class reacts to it on Thursday.

On deck:
1) Continuing working on CountryHome.com
2) Multimedia for Vox
3) Present the redesigned cover at Thursday's lab
4) Work on mini-portfolio and Web site if I have time

No comments:

Post a Comment