Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Critique Week #5


Currently I have two ongoing projects for the capstone class. First I am designing the Feature #2 for the 3.19 issue of VOX, which is a story about the grocery stores in Columbia. That is not quite done yet so I will be posting that design later this week. Check back to see.
The second project is the design/publishing project that we have been slowly working on all semester. I presented my ideas to the publishing students on Monday along with the other two designers from my group, and while the design from one of the other designers was ultimately chosen as the design we will work from, I am in charge of all the web technical stuff (of which I know some, but not all. I have these grand ideas but I'm not good with the technical side of doing such things). Oh well. Anyways I have posted my designs that I presented on Monday. I had a lot of fun with this. My ideas for the web pages were based off of ESPN.com, because I am a sports junkie and really enjoy the way ESPN.com is set up as a website. Most of the images and boxes on the pages are hyperlinks to pages that have not been created yet, kind of like showing the surface of a very complex machine but not seeing the layers inside. It's really hard to design a web page on a program such as InDesign, because you can't show most of the features that come with a web site such as the one I proposed, such as the use of pop-up thumbnails and flash slideshows. But anyways here are the designs. 

On deck for next week:
1) Attend a T/F film and a session of judging for POYI
2) Work on the Feature #2 on groceries
3) Work on the publishing/design group project

3 comments:

  1. Eric, your designs for the publishing project looked really well. You did a good job executing the online concept. I guess you did it so well, that's why your the new tech guy. But nonetheless, great ideas and even though you said you based them off of espn.com, it represents the mission statement and subject the publishing group presented to you all. good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric, your home page for CountryHome.com was my favorite layout of all the online projects Monday. You thought out the execution of the Web side of things very well. I think now you can work on the execution of the personality and style of your designs. When we work on your grocery feature, we'll talk more about this. Also, I realized I had the dates wrong in my head for when your feature would run. You don't have to come in on Sunday, but you do have to meet with me next Friday. However, I think that coming in Sunday would be helpful since there's so much formatting for this piece. Keep up the good work. Love, Meredith (the TA, not the project.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you had a good concept with your CountryHome.com however it seemed very gray to me. I just feel like it needs a little more style and life to it. Good luck on your Meredith project.

    ReplyDelete