Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Critique Week #3: Covers in process




















In tomorrow's lab I will be one of the designers presenting three cover ideas for the February 26 issue, which is the issue for the True/False Film Festival, which starts the day the issue comes out. These are not completely done yet, and will most likely be tweaked again before tomorrow's deadline. 

Since this is an issue that happens every year, for inspiration I looked back at the past 4 years of VOX's coverage of the True/False Film Festival to see what other designers had done over the past years. All of them featured typography and incorporated the logo somewhere on the cover. From here I will explain why I did what I did for each cover.

Cover, at top: That cover was inspired by a feature design I saw in Garden & Gun Magazine. I wanted to make it fun to read and look at, while also not making it look too over the top. The dotted lines represent the sides of film strips, with the words being on the "film." I didn't want to draw the lines between images in the film because I felt that those would just complicate the design and it would be too much. I left the cover white because I felt color would distract from the design. Since the T/F logo is red and white, I decided to add some red in there to add as accents to the type.

Cover, at middle: I wanted to go with an Academy Awards feel, since this is a pretty major independent film festival, and I listed every film that is being shown over the span of the four-day festival on the sides of the page. The red and white colors of the festival are shown to separate the films. Of the three covers, this one is my favorite.

Cover, at bottom: My concept for this particular cover was to make it as simple as possible, since I am all about simplicity and typography. Again the colors of the festival are seen on the page to tell the reader that when they pick up the issue, they will find out about that festival.

Each of these will be tweaked later tonight before they are shown in lab tomorrow. I will post the revised covers after they have been seen in lab. 

On deck for next week:
-Revise the covers I just showed. 
-Design the Short Talk section of VOX for the 2.19 issue.
-Work on the historical perspectives assignment about Sports Illustrated in the 1960s.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the middle design. It looks really professional and I like the look of it. I do agree though that it should have a little stamp of the grunge look because of what true/false is. But great start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Oscar design you presented in class today, I didn't take a close look at it until now, and I noticed you placed the False upside down and I really like that aspect of the cover. And I like how you incorporated the Oscars too because I LOVE them :)

    ReplyDelete