Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Critique Week #4: Redesigning the cover




















At last Thursday's lab, a group of students, including myself, presented possible designs for the February 26 issue of VOX, which will highlight the True/False Film Festival, starting that day and continuing until March 1. The editors and students wanted me to work on the design I made with the black background. They thought that particular cover spoke too much with the Hollywood theme, since I was trying to mimic the Oscars in that design. True/False prides itself in not being in Hollywood or attached to it, so I had to go back to the drawing table. Looking through clip art, I found a movie clapboard, and thought I could incorporate some of VOX's witty voice into the cover using the clapboard. And the word "Hollywood" on the board led to a lot of fun as I crossed it out in red pen, like editing, and replaced it with the words True/False next to it, also in that editing red, which is also one of the colors in the T/F logo. I kept with the the lines on the clapboard and answered them in a fun way. I hope everyone likes it! 

On deck:
Working on designs for the publishing project; ideas for the secondary feature on March 12, which is on "groceries." Check back for more of my designs next week!

4 comments:

  1. I really like your new cover design for True/False. You did a great job of taking all of the comments offered in lab Thursday and making it work. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new designs. The reflected "false" is great. I especially like the importance you put on the words in the second one..."and, ACTION!" It definitely gives off that film feeling, without overdoing the true/false vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much improved on the cover. The Action headline would really get residents to actively participate in the event. It makes me want to at least...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your first cover. It takes the dramatic feel of the movies and works with the colors and themes of the festival itself. Good job.

    ReplyDelete