Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Response to class (3/10)








So today's class was pretty interesting, as one by one each person (except for six of us, myself included) went up to the front of the room to not only explain the designs he or she created for the logo assignment, but to also enlighten the class on his or her particular thought process while designing. I found that most people came up with their designs through a variety of methods, from getting it done all in one setting to tackling it over a span of a couple days. Many people also designed to music, and not as many people as I thought sketched thumbnails before sitting down at a computer. The last point I thought was very interesting, because last semester as a designer at the Columbia Missourian, I seemed to be the only designer on staff that did not sketch thumbnails before tackling the page, especially when it came to blank feature pages for the Weekend Missourian. At least in this class I'm not alone in using that method. 

Now I do a combination of both methods - sketching thumbnails or starting directly on the computer. I guess it really depends on what I'm designing to determine the method of madness I use. But I often design by feel - just see what works and constantly tweak on the computer until I feel good about the design. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw your VERY preliminary grocery feature when you were having a hard time in the VOX office one day..and it has come a long way. I love how it turned out. I was very impressed. I think you have a very sophisticated clip that shows you can organize. I loved the tags you pulled out for store info and the colors and you found a place to use that paper bag texture we all loved from the covers--great job!

    ReplyDelete