Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Critique Week #6






In terms of designing, this is a very busy week. Not only did I have three cover ideas due tomorrow in lab, but I also had to continue to work on the feature story I'm designing for the March 19 issue. 

I had a lot of trouble coming up with ideas that were not cliche for the topic of caffeine. I have posted my first two designs here which the class will see tomorrow in lab, and later tonight I hope to come up with a good idea for the third one.

The feature story is looking at the seven grocery stores in Columbia, and went from being the secondary feature in the March 19 issue to being the only one in the issue, and was expanded to five pages in length as well. So I will have plenty of room for the charts, text and pictures. My first draft of the design was pretty boring, and was scratched completely last Sunday as I worked with Meredith, our teaching assistant. Meredith and I came up with a color palette and the use of grocery tags to represent each store in the non-narrative story. It's now a very colorful piece of work and should be a great addition to my portfolio after it is completed by Sunday evening. 

On top of all that, I am designing logos for the 20/10 assignment. 

On deck:
1) Designing the final cover idea for caffeine.
2) Working on the March 12 feature.
3) Working on the 20/10 assignment. 
4) Attending MAP on Friday.

That's it! Happy designing!

1 comment:

  1. I like your take on the caffeine cover. It's completely different from anything i would have come up with. I like that it's really speaking to the readers, too. But on the first one "potentially" is spelled wrong :(

    ReplyDelete